Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Alchemist Blog 1

"It's this: that at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what's happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That's the world's greatest lie" (Coelho 18).

The old man is telling Santiago that no matter what may happen to him in life, he will always be able to make his own choices. I believe this to hold true in my life as well. I strongly disagree with the idea that everyone has a destiny. It's partially because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my own life. Coincidence should never be confused with providence. Although, many people who believe in God believe that their lives are controlled by Him specifically. However, because I'm an atheist, it doesn't make sense for me to believe in this ideal. I can't grasp a concept of a higher being controlling my life when I don't believe in a higher being altogether. This quote may not be related to God or faith in general, but it may be a warning to make sure that one's dreams are followed instead of not being followed because it's believed that one is not in control of his or her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment