Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Alchemist Blog 2

"You dream about your sheep and the Pyramids, but you're different from me, because you want to realize your dreams. I just want to dream about Mecca. I've already imagined a thousand times crossing the desert, arriving at the Plaza of the Sacred Stone, the seven times I walk around it before allowing myself to touch it. I've already imagined the people who would be at my side, and those in front me, and the conversations and prayers we would share. But I'm afraid that it would all be a disappointment, so I prefer just to dream about it" (Coelho 55).

The crystal store owner tells Santiago that he doesn't really want to pursue his dreams, but that he is perfectly happy just dreaming about them. This illustrates the point that not everyone's life goals are the same. Whatever makes a person happy should be what they decide to do. If Santiago feels like something in his life is missing and that searching for the treasure is his only way to improve his life, then he should go for it. Melchizedek had said, "never stop dreaming" (62). He never said that people must follow their dreams. Just because "life wants you to achieve your Personal Legend" (52), that doesn't mean that one must achieve one's Personal Legend to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment